Six Balanced Grab and Go Breakfasts:
1. Hard boiled egg, string cheese, 4-5 whole grain crackers (such as Triscuts), 1 cup grapes. Tip: Boil several eggs each weekend so they are ready to grab at a moment’s notice. When you bring a box of crackers home, go ahead and portion them into individual baggies.
2. Low-fat yogurt, banana, small whole-grain granola bar (look for a bar that has less than 200 calories and at least 3g fiber). Each of these items is easy to pack! Just don’t forget to grab a spoon.
3. Sandwich: 2 slices whole wheat bread, 2 tablespoons nut butter (like peanut or almond), 1 small sliced apple. When you know you will have an especially busy morning, make the sandwich the night before. Then all you have to do is grab and go!
4. Oatmeal in a coffee thermos. Have an insulated coffee mug? Just add hot water, a packet of instant oatmeal, and a single serving packet of nuts and dried fruit for a quick meal!
5. A healthy single-serving smoothie with a handful of dry cereal and a 100-calorie pack of nuts. Look for a smoothie that is portable and has less than 200 calories and less than 20g of sugar. I loved the samples I got from Dahlicious Lassi. They’re probiotic Indian- style low-fat yogurt drinks that are made with real fruit and come in 7oz. bottles that have just over 100 calories each.
6. Pita, hummus, and veggies. Grab a whole wheat pita and single serving container of hummus. Add hummus to pita and top with pre-cut raw veggies like cherry tomatoes and carrots. For extra protein, add some leftover grilled chicken or beans.